Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My Favorite Childhood Book

It's hard to pick just one! I loved to read everything and anything when I was a child. That being said, I really enjoyed the Nancy Drew mystery series. The mysteries that Nancy Drew continuously solved always kept me on the edge of my seat, yearning to read more. I was unable, or maybe unwilling, to put down the book until I had figured out which suspect had written the mysterious letter or who had stolen the pearl necklace from the hotel dresser drawer. It was thrilling to become Nancy's "sidekick" and accompany her on her quests to solve the mysteries with which she always seemed to be presented. These days,  I can't seem to remember the specific mysteries and stories that were my favorites, as they all blur together in my mind. Nancy Drew was able to completely captivate my attention, and draw me into her own unique world. I would hurry to finish one book, just so that I could begin the next. I believe that I eventually read almost the entire collection, the books taking over my book shelves.

It was most devastating when I grew too old for the series to be challenging any longer. To my luck, the author, Carolyn Keene, later came out with a much smaller collection of Nancy Drew mysteries that were geared toward a slightly older age group of more mature, and advanced readers. Unfortunately, the Nancy Drew mysteries are a bit too easy for my reading abilities and interest these days, but I have maintained my love for novels that involve an aspect of mystery and "needing to find out," that never fails to keep me reading.




No comments:

Post a Comment